Ultrasound and Cardiac Workup Indications:
- Coughing and exercise intolerance
- Heart murmurs or arrhythmias
- Abnormal blood chemistry or complete blood count values
- Enlarged lymph nodes or palpable masses
- Diseases of the urinary system: straining to urinate, blood in the urine, bladder stones, enlarged prostate
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal system: anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the stool, chronic weight loss
- Jaundice or elevated bile acids
- Diseases of the thyroid/parathyroid gland
- Diseases of the eye: blood in the eye, ocular masses, inflammation in the eye
- Diseases of the tendons and joints
- Anal gland tumors
- Pregnancy confirmation
- Guided biopsies or aspirates
Ultrasounds with Lakeland Veterinary Imaging:
Prior to Arrival
Most patients do not require sedation for an ultrasound, but occasionally light sedation is necessary for a complete and thorough ultrasound exam. Sedation is usually required for pets undergoing ultrasound-guided sampling procedures. In preparation for this, we recommend the pet not be fed for at least 4-6 hours prior to their exam. It is generally not necessary to withhold water during this time unless specifically recommended by your veterinarian.
** If patients are having an ultrasound for kidney/urinary issues, it is best if the pet arrives to the appointment with a full bladder. **
In most cases, an imaging diagnosis is available at the time of the exam. If needle aspirate, biopsy, or other organ sampling is obtained with ultrasound guidance, these results are often not available for 3-5 business days (depending on your regular veterinarian's laboratory). We provide all interpretation and diagnostic information from the scan directly to your veterinarian or veterinary specialist. They will contact you regarding these reports with any diagnosis, prognosis or therapy recommendations.
All ultrasound fees are billed directly to your veterinarian. We are always happy to discuss a fee estimate with you, or your doctor, in advance. We prefer it when there are no surprises for you regarding fees and we will work hard to make sure our estimates are accurate and complete.